Surrey Police Home Checklist
Here are some of the things you can do to improve the security of your home:
- If you are replacing or fitting new doors and windows, get ones that are certified to British Standard BS7950 (windows) or PAS 24-1 (doors).
- Fit mortise locks (Kitemarked BS3621) to all front and back doors and locks to all downstairs windows or windows which are easy to reach.
- Keep your house and car keys safe and away from doors and windows.
- Fit a burglar alarm, but make sure it is installed properly and works.
- Keep your garage and garden shed locked with proper security locks, and keep any tools secure and out of sight.
- Trim back any plants or hedges that a burglar could hide behind
- Make sure you have up-to-date insurance.
- Join your local Neighbourhood Watch.
When you are away:
- don't leave your curtains closed during the daytime
- use timer switches to turn on some lights when it gets dark
- cancel any milk or newspaper deliveries when you go away
- ask a neighbour to look after your home
Want to know more about home security?
Phone Surrey Police on 0845 125 2222, and ask for the Crime Reduction Advisor for the borough you live in. You can also find a range of advice on preventing burglary and other crimes at http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/ and http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/
Want to contact your local Police officer?Visit http://www.surrey.police.uk/ and go to the page that covers your borough.