Some of the ancient hedgerow along Waverley Lane. Traditionally the route taken by the monks on their way to Waverley Abbey.
Above is a picture of Stoneyfields a private road that still creates a feeling of the semi rural nature of the area.
The pictures below show parts of Broomleaf Road and Lynch Road, roads that have retained grass verges and mature trees
Other properties were designed by well known local architect Harold Falkner.
Some keep their character hidden
Spring and Summer show the local roads at their best, but winter highlights the enjoyment that can be had from nearby ancient woodland.
SOUTH FARNHAM IN WINTER
The tiny chapel in the woods (St Marys Chapel) is located on Old Compton Lane and is overlooked by long standing pine trees. Its foundations are cut into the slope of the ground and over the years the building has darkened so that it now seems part of the land itself. It took its present name in 1962 in recognition of the fact that it is the nearest place of worship to Waverley Abbey which itself was dedicated to the Virgin Mary. This tiny building actually began life in 1863 as a school for the children of workers employed at Moor Park and although it was used as a place of worship from that time it was not actually officially dedicated until 1918.
Many properties give the area its special character. The Manor House is a Grade Two listed property.
South Farnham can also boast of properties with a modern design.
2 Stoneyfields was designed by Farnham architect George Buzuk in 1968 in the Modernist style made famous by the Bauhaus architects such as Walter Gropius and Le Corbusier and shares many features in common with a well-known National Trust property in London designed by Erno Goldfinger. The dramatic planes and geometrical angles formed by the exterior walls are reflected not only throughout the interior, but also in the garden design which has been laid out and maintained to complement the minimalist style of the striking architecture.
LOCAL ROADS IN WINTER