During the weekend of 10th-11th November, Surrey experienced some severe weather which resulted in flooded highways, flooded gardens and in some instances property flooding.  

 As ever, a lot of focus has been on gullies in the highway and reporting them as being blocked, I am aware that this can sometimes be the case especially this time of year with the tree’s shedding their leafs. It is easy to see the gullies as the source of most of our flooding problems on the highway but this is not always the case. The capacity of the gulley’s and the systems they flow into can be tested during these intense storms. The amount of rain that can fall in short amount of time can overwhelm the system but then add to that the additional water that flows onto the road from front gardens that have been converted to hard standings and the loss of some verges, the amount of water will exceed the capacity of the highway, public and private drainage networks. You must also look beyond these systems and to where the water flows, often the river levels are high the drainage ditches are already full and the water has nowhere to go so the systems backs up to its source during the storm.

 A lot of these instances are being reported to us as Members.  An increasing number of residents come straight to us and not to the normal enquiry routes. Our role in these instances is to get the resident to the right place as quickly as possible so that our officers can do their bit. 

 In order for you to do this I have outlined the routes for you to use:



(1)  If the resident has an emergency where there is a threat to life or the house is likely to flood they should call 999, or the Environment Agency Hotline 0800 80 70 60

(2) If the highway is flooded they should call the highway emergency number 0300 200 1003

(3) If the sewers are surcharging then they should call the utility company on their emergency number.


(1) Where the highway has flooded or a blocked drain please report on this link.  This will take the enquiry to the correct maintenance team.

(2) Where there are general enquiries about a flooding or they have been flooded then this can be reported to flooding.enquiries@surreycc.gov.uk . This is not monitored out of hours.


I hope you find the above useful, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any queries.

Kind regards



Colin Kemp

Lead Cabinet Member for Place

Surrey County Councillor Horsell West & Goldsworth East


09:00, 26 Nov 2018 by Catherine de Bruin