Using site statistics to find out how busy your site is
SurreyCommunity.info has a built-in report that lets you see how busy your site is. You can also use the report to find out:
- which parts of your site are the most popular
- if any pages are not being used.
- what people are looking for on your site
- how people find your site
To see the report
- Go to your site admin page
- Click the reports tab and then site statistics
The top of the page will tell you which site the report is for (yours!) and when the report was last updated (this happens once every 24 hours).
The report automatically shows figures for the current month. If you want to see reports for earlier periods, select the appropriate month and year from the reported period section at the top of the page and click the OK button.
Understanding the report
The report includes a lot of figures and internet jargon and can be overwhelming at first. However, you don't need to use all of the report for it to still be useful to you. Below are some figures that you can use straight away to get a better idea of how your site is being used.
- How busy is my site?
- Which are the most popular parts of my site?
- What are my visitors looking for?
- Where do my visitors come from?
- Are search engines finding my site?
- Filtering the results from full lists
If you are interested in knowing more about making your site more visible to search engines, there are some other sites with useful information.
- Google's webmaster help pages give advice about making your site work more effectively for Google and other search engines.
- Yahoo! has pages with advice and information on how they index sites.
- Bing's webmaster centre also provides advice and information.
The site statistics report is created using a program called AWstats. You can find out more technical information about the program on the AWstats website.