How do I set up a private or members-only area?
If you have invited or allowed people to join your site, you may want to make some content available just for your members. There are a couple of ways that you can do this.
You can use the permissions system to restrict some content to members only. For example, you could add a discussion forum and set the permissions so that only members could see and use it. Or you could add some pages and set the permissions so that they are only visible to members.
Alternatively, you can add a private area to your site. The private area is an application that provides a second separate website contained within your main website - it could comprise of just a single page or you could use it to create a second fully featured website (complete with interactive applications such as discussion forums and photo galleries).
These two methods are not exclusive - it's fine to add a private area and also use the permissions system to control access to content if you want to.
Find out more
- Using the permissions system
- Setting permissions for folders and pages
- Setting permissions for the built-in applications
- Adding a private area
- Controlling who can access the private area
- Managing the private area
- Removing or disabling the private area.
- Renaming the private area
- Changing the address of the private area