Adding keywords and descriptions for search engines
You can easily add keyword and description information to your pages. This information can't be seen by visitors to your site but it can be used by search engines to catalogue and rank your pages.
The keyword information allows you to identify the important words or phrases for your page. Some search engines (although not many these days) will use these keywords to help determine what your page is about.
The description information should be a short summary of your page - how you might describe it to someone in one sentence. Some search engines use the description to help determine what your page is about and some search engines display your description in their search results.
Five top tips for keywords and descriptions
- The most important thing to remember is - keywords and descriptions are not a magic solution to helping people find your page or getting a good place in search engine results! They will help but equally important is giving your pages good descriptive titles, making sure the content of your pages includes the information that people are searching for, and linking to and from other pages and sites.
- Keywords are not used by most major search engines so don't spend too much time adding them. It's generally more effective to make sure that any relevant words are included in the content of your page instead.
- Don't add words that aren't relevant to the content of your page to the keywords - this is unlikely to improve your place in search results and may actually decrease the chances of your page being found.
- Only add words once to each keyword field. Most search engines will rank your page down if you repeat keywords on a page (for example, "fruit, fruit, fruit" is not as effective as "fruit, apples, pears" or even just "fruit").
- Keep your description less than 64 characters long (including punctuation and spaces). This is because if search engines display your description they normally cut it off if it is too long. For the same reason, you should put your most important information the beginning of the description.
To add keywords and descriptions
- Open the page for editing
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen. Just above the save buttons you will see two fields, keywords and description.
- Type any keywords you want to add into the keyword field. Separate each keyword or phrase with a comma. For example; "apple, banana, fruit salad, cherry" (notice that there is no comma between fruit and salad as "fruit salad" is the keyword rather than "fruit" and "salad" separately).
- Type a short description for your page into the description field (we strongly advise keeping this less than 64 characters long)
- Click the Save changes button to store your changes to the page or the Save and publish button to store the changes and make the updated page available on your site.