Questions about our free websites and directory
Questions and answers
- Can anyone use SurreyCommunity.info to create a website?
- Can I get a website for my company/business?
- Are there any restrictions to the free websites?
- I've never created a website before - how do I start?
- What will my website be like if I create it with SurreyCommunity.info?
Can anyone use SurreyCommunity.info to create a website?
Not everyone can unfortunately! To create a website with us you must be one of the following:
- A community, voluntary or non-profit organisation geographically based in Surrey.
- A community, voluntary or non-profit organisation geographically based close to the border of Surrey and providing services to people in Surrey.
- A district, borough, town or parish council in Surrey
- An elected member of a county, district, borough, town or parish council in Surrey.
- A national community, voluntary or non-profit organisation providing services in Surrey
If you are not sure that your group fits into one of the categories listed above, contact us on email@example.com for advice.
Can I get a website for my company/business?
Probably not. Currently we don't include commercial groups or businesses on SurreyCommunity.info apart from registered Community Interest Companies (CICs).
If you are not a CIC but think that your company or business does fit into one of the categories listed in the answer above, contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for advice before applying.
Are there any restrictions to the free websites?
We don't set arbitrary limits for the number of pages or number of visitors your site can have - you're free to add as much content to your site as you like and your site can have thousands of visitors a month without worry. Should your site become so large/busy that it interferes with the smooth running of other sites on SurreyCommunity (and this is very unlikely), then we will discuss this with you to determine an appropriate solution.
You and your organisation must agree to abide by our terms and conditions. As the person running your free website, you will be responsible for making sure that it meets the terms and conditions. If you, your website or members of your website break any of the terms and conditions we may have to close your website.
All SurreyCommunity.info websites have to be accurate and kept up to date. If your website hasn't been updated in a while, we will send you a reminder to check that your content is still current. We may close websites that are out of date or that haven't been updated in a long time.
I've never created a website before - how do I start?
The SurreyCommunity system is intended to be easy to use - even if you haven't created a website before - but does assume that you have basic experience of using a computer and the web. If you can type a letter or email, then you should be okay.
Most people start by adding basic details about their group to a single page. Then, as they get used to using the SurreyCommunity system, they'll add further pages to their site.
We provide a lot of help pages covering all aspects of the system, and if you get stuck you can contact us at email@example.com
What will my website be like if I create it with SurreyCommunity.info?
You will be able to choose from any of our built-in designs for your site. You can modify these by changing the colours and the text, adding your organisation's logo and so on.
As well as choosing the look of your site, using SurreyCommunity.info it is easy to add interactive features to your site such as blogs, discussion forums, photo galleries, surveys and more.