Guildford Action Charity Overview and Mission
Guildford Action is an independent registered charity, which has been working within the local community for over 30 years helping Individuals experiencing homelessness as well as isolated families. Our mission is to ‘Enhance the lives of all those we come into contact with’. We have seen a massive increase in numbers of those accessing the projects over the past year due to economic climate and social welfare reforms. The projects are:
- The Guildford Action Day Service that supports those who are homeless, have been homeless or those on a low income, through meeting basic need as well as group work. We offer showers, access to primary healthcare, clothing, food alongside non-judgemental advice and advocacy within the safe warm environment of the centre.
- The GAF (Guildford Action for Families) support service, which supports isolated families with all issues involving the bringing up of children. We aim to maximise the potential of every child and family, we come into contact with. The GAF Team work with families in their own homes through outreach. Also drop-in sessions within the families own communities to increase confidence and self esteem.
- The Get Wise Project, The GAF in partnership with other agencies delivers a Surrey County Council commissioned scheme that engages with families that have been identified as being in poverty and in need of benefit and welfare advice. The project offered benefits advice to 257 families over the course of last year mostly via outreach Monday to Friday.
Issues faced by those we support may include debt, housing, mental health challenges, isolation, relationship breakdown, domestic abuse, parenting skills, employment and substance misuse.
Did you know in an area perceived as affluent;
- 1 in 6 people in Guildford are suffering from mental health challenges right now
- 30% of the homeless people, we help are under 25 years old
- 40% of those on the street are victims of violence
- Women avoid homelessness through getting involved in appropriate relationships
- 30% of children in Guildford, Stoke Area are living in Poverty (source: http://www.endchildpoverty.org.uk Feb 2013)
Guildford Action is supported and core-funded by the Guildford Voluntary Grants Panel.
Email Contact Form
Second Content section