Questions about our free websites and directory
Questions and answers
- How do I apply for a free website and directory listing?
- What are the benefits of registering my group on SurreyCommunity.info?
- Can anyone use SurreyCommunity.info to create a website?
- Can I get a website/listing for my company/business?
- I'm eligible to create a website on SurreyCommunity.info, what should I be aware of?
- Can I list my organisation in the A-Z without building a website?
- What will my website be like if I create it with SurreyCommunity.info?
- Can I use SurreyCommunity.info to just publish details of my events?
How do I apply for a free website and directory listing?
You will probably find it helpful to read all of this page before you apply.
There are two steps to applying for a website or listing. First, register with us using the link at the top of the page. This will take a couple of minutes. The system will automatically send you an email to confirm that you have registered.
Once you have registered, you can apply for a free website and directory listing. Revisit the SurreyCommunity.info home page and click on the link to apply for a free website. This takes slightly longer than registering as you will need to fill in some details about your group. Your application will normally be confirmed within two working days.
What are the benefits of registering my organisation on SurreyCommunity.info?
We get thousands of visitors each month. You can make them aware of your organisation by adding your details to our directory.
If you already have a website, your entry in the directory can link to it. If you don't already have one, you can use Surrey Community.info to create a free website for your group.
Can anyone use SurreyCommunity.info to create a website?
Not everyone can unfortunately! To create a website with us you must be one of the following:
- A community, voluntary or non-profit organisation geographically based in Surrey.
- A community, voluntary or non-profit organisation geographically based close to the border of Surrey and providing services to people in Surrey.
- A district, borough, town or parish council in Surrey
- An elected member of a county, district, borough, town or parish council in Surrey.
- A national community, voluntary or non-profit organisation providing services in Surrey
If you are not sure that your group fits into one of the categories listed above, contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for advice.
Can I get a website/listing for my company/business?
Probably not. Currently we are not including commercial groups on SurreyCommunity.info apart from registered Community Interest Companies (CICs).
If you are not a CIC but think that your company or business does fit into one of the categories listed in the answer above, contact us on email@example.com for advice before applying.
I'm eligible to create a website on SurreyCommunity.info, what should I be aware of?
You and your organisation must agree to abide by our terms and conditions.
As the person running your free website, you will be responsible for making sure that it meets the terms and conditions. If you, your website or members of your website break any of the terms and conditions we may have to close your free website.
All SurreyCommunity.info websites have to be accurate and kept up to date. If your website hasn't been updated in a while, we will send you a reminder to check that your content is still current. We may close websites that are out of date or that haven't been updated in a long time.
I don't want to build a complete website but I would like to list my organisation in your A-Z. Can I do that?
Currently our A-Z can only list SurreyCommunity.info websites or groups that already have a website elsewhere.
If you don't already have a website but are prepared to create a site with at least one page (this should include a brief description of your group and your contact details) then we can list you. Apply for a website with us and make sure that you fill out all of the details about your organisation on the application form. When you have completed it, your website will automatically consist of a single page containing the information that you provided in your application.
If your organisation already has its own website elsewhere, it is just as easy. Apply for a website with us and during the application process you will be asked if you want to use your own website instead. When your application is complete, your SurreyCommunity website will include a short description of your group (provided by you) and will redirect visitors to your existing website.
In both cases you will still be expected to abide by our terms and conditions and if your organisation's details change you must update your details on SurreyCommunity.info.
What will my website be like if I create it with SurreyCommunity.info?
Have a look at our demonstration site or browse the directory and see how other people have used us to create a website.
You will be able to choose from any of our built-in designs for your site. You can modify these by changing the appearance of the text, adding your organisation's logo and so on.
As well as choosing the look of your site, using SurreyCommunity.info it is easy to add interactive features to your site such as:
- Discussion forums and noticeboards
- Events calendars
- Picture galleries
- Online surveys, polls and petitions
- Small ads
- Job vacancies adverts that allow people to apply online
- Private members-only areas