ELSTEAD (St. James), a parish, in the union of Hambledon, hundred of Farnham, W. division of Surrey, 4 miles (W.) from Godalming; containing 743 inhabitants.
The parish is situated on the river Wey, and comprises by computation 4119 acres, whereof 1939 are arable, and the remainder waste land.
The surface is generally flat; but some parts rise into hills of considerable elevation, of which the highest is Crooksbury; and two ridges, called respectively the Hind's Head and Hog's Back, traverse the parish, the former on the south-west, and the latter on the north-west of the village. The soil is chiefly sandy.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £78; patron the Archdeacon of Surrey. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £330.
Dr. James, inventor of the powders which bear his name, spent many of the later years of his life here. Source:-
Publication A Topographical Dictionary of England
Author: Samuel Lewis (editor)
Year published: 1848